Mike:  Where did you get your info on the bar fret changeover? Required fields are marked *. It appears to be “1 MONTE”, photo will be sent by separate email. The superb book, which I also bought, dates it to between 1934 and 1937. Also, Style 1 Martins were produced in koa known as ( Style 1K) as well as in mahogany (sometimes called 1M but usually just referred to as 1). If you have a vintage Martin Ukulele for sale, please contact me at Hi there, I was hoping you might be able to tell me a bit about my ukulele. There are two primary items to look at to determine the Style, the 7th fret marker and the bindings. It certainly has some value, you can check some of the auction sites or used instrument stores and see what they are asking for one like this. Earliest examples with boxwood bridge saddle and nut. I have a video on making your own, or you can purchase one through most music shops. Thanks in advance for any advice. Decals can be added or removed, but impressed stamps are much more difficult. When you see a listing, don’t trust the seller to know the difference between the Styles. Small pearl paired-diamond inlays at fret 5, 7, 9. 12 fret rosewood fingerboard with bar frets. – 2 inlay rings around sound hole. Friend gave me a used Martin ukulele. Copyright 2106, Mark W. Swarthout. You’ll have to send some photos if you want me to compare and identify. It is relatively simple to determine the Style. I found a ukulele in grandparents attic. I’d like to send pictures if I could. some periods were as great as Martin guitars. still manufactured in quantity until 1965. If possible could you tell me the range of years of manufacture of this uke and what the stamp indicates? There are the obvious cracks, sometimes repaired, and finish wear, as well as being complete with all the tuners, fret bars and bridge. Aloha Ukulele Dude- Much appreciated. Features : 2 dots on 7th fret If your Style 0 or 1 comes with peg tuners, it was made before 1927. The sound of these instruments is distinctively different than any other. No serial #, has CF.Martin and co. Nazareth PA made in u.s.a on back inside. It has single white dot on 5th, 7th and 10th. My primary source is the definitive reference, The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant by John King and Tom Walsh. Martin Style 5 and Style 5k Uke specs: An Unofficial forum for those who love Martin instruments - Founded by Steve Stallings, i have a guy trying to sell me a old martin uke i cant play one an i dont  have a clue what its worth any help would be great just tell me what you need to know an we can go from there. Mike. – mahogany bridge with black saddle The first Martin ukes, built in 1916, have serial numbers ranging from one What a sweetie. I have a Martin Ukelele, probably style one Does that tell you anything? cfh@provide.net. I have a tenor ukulele that has rosewood front and back. 18 frets, 2 dots 7th fret, pegs, tortoise shell binding. Most of the pictures you see on my posts are mahogany. If you share pictures to my email, I can provide a much better identification. – appears to be mahogany with rosewood fret board As it is my first all-solid uke, I am worried about how it will fare in my centrally-heated house over the winter. If you can send some pictures of the tuners and other key items, I may be able to help narrow things down. Bridge, front and back of the headstock, inside stamp, binding and fretboard. Ukes have the Martin stamp on the back of the peghead until 1935. From a single dot at the 7, I’d say it is a Style 0. Martin Style 1 Uke specs: Does it have bar frets? All sizes are Doing some research witch lead me to your site we determined that it is a style 0 from the twenties. 1970s: discontinued. – dot on frets 5, 7, 10 The tenor was available in all styles except the Style 0. in 1965. I have a Type 1 Tenor and I’m led to believe it was late 1930s early 1940s (that’s how it was advertised when I bought it about 10 years ago). Your best bet is to visit some of the auction sites and check out the pictures to see the difference. They didn’t put decals on until the mid- to late 30’s. The binding on the Style 2 was an unmistakable white plastic celluloid with one black line in the middle. This website uses cookies for functionality, analytics and advertising purposes as described in our. The recent ukuleles made since 2006, the 5K at least, have serial numbers now. Martin style 3 uke model made first in 1918, discontinued in the 1970s. I won’t give money values unless I can actually play it. So a Style 0 from the early 1920’s. Martin has had five Styles, or quality levels, of instruments that they produced. My wife purchased a box lot at an action. The Martin Ukulele: The Little Instrument That Helped Create a Guitar Giant, A Visit in the Berkshires – The Magic Fluke Company, Photographing Your Ukulele for Identification. History: Probably been in family since early 1900’s The primary wood for the lower three models of the instruments was mahogany. In the early years that is all the did, the stamp on the back of the headstock. Styles 1 and 2 had four small celluloid dots, one at the fifth fret, two at the seventh, and one at the ninth. been introduced. Mine seems to have small markers but I have nothing to compare it to. Can you advise how to send pictures to you Great site, Hello, I came across your information and wondered if you could possibly assist me to determine if the martin listed in this reverb link for sale is actually a 1920s martin style 1. Martin Company for years, ever since I heard Brian Hefferan and Dave Passant playing their vintage Martins at various events. I have a Martin and co. Uke passed down from my grandma it has small dot on frets 5 7 10 Martin stamp on headstock and sound hole says Nazareth and made in the USA underneath any idea as to what yr I’m guessing 50 or 60s. Martin did make Style 1,2 and 3 instruments in koa wood. Introduced in 1918, the first Martin uke model made. Doesn’t seem to match your identification guides, so, I think it is a knock off. – black nut 1965: Style 1 last listed and discontinued. Hi. Martin Company were used by the authors to create this volume. Just curious. I thought it was a baritone but now I’m not so sure, as I had a few people tell me the frets are a style used in the 1920s and the Baritone was not introduced until 1960. Widow of original owner said it was purchased new in 1920. – stamped on head-stock and inside: C F Martin & Co, Nazareth PA That says Type 1, 1935 or later. 4 tuners on back white covers. No, as it is possible that it is from the early 40’s during World War II when they went back to peg tuners. The Style 0 has no binding at all. Tortoise shell binding and 14 frets. The archives of the C.F. It seems to be a 1930s style 0? – appears to be mahogany with rosewood fret board – dot on frets 5, 7, 10 – no serial# – stamped on head-stock and inside: C F Martin & Co, Nazareth PA – dark wooden pegs facing down, not on side – mahogany bridge with black saddle – black nut – no binding – 2 inlay rings around sound hole The value of the instrument is going to be dependent on the condition, the age, the type of wood and the size. Martin Style 3 and Style 3k Uke specs: Triple bound top binding with ivorioid outer binding. Note that prior to 1919, Style 1, 2, and 3 did not have fret markers at all, but the Style 3 still had the double lines down the middle. I purchased it from Rod this winter. decals do not appear in catalog photos till after WWII. Centre brace inside is stamped/embossed C F MARTIN & CO, NAZARETH PA (in all caps on the embossing). The first Martin ukes, built in 1916, have serial numbers ranging from one to less than 200. I have an easily identifiable (I believe) Type 1 Tenor with double dots at the 7th fret, 12 frets to the body, fretboard goes to the sound hole, tortoise shell plastic binding, geared tuners, Type 1 binding (and of course almost all Tenors are Type 1). The top of the head stock is straight with grover tuners on the backside with the Martin name embossed on the back. There is a serial number inside the instrument where the neck joins the body: 30834. C F Martin co lnc on back of arm & visible through the hole. It wouldn’t hurt to have a humidifier! Bar frets all before WWII - Martin ukes were discontinued from 1940-42 depending on the model. Do you know if Martin ever simply had stamped their instruments particularly their cheaper models? wood models are more collectible than mahagony models. Binding for the Style 3 was a white plastic celluloid with a total of 7 alternating white and black lines. to less than 200. Try them out and see which one you like the best and is in your price range. The Koa In it was a uke with no markings but it is stamped on the back of the headstock “MARTIN”.

Ecco Size Chart Us Women's, Poland Spring 5 Gallon Near Me, Tigi Color Formulas, Grilled Sweet Potatoes Wedges, Honest Jersey City, Dark-eyed Junco Nest, Articles Mind Map, Can You Eat Crab Sticks Raw, Serta Gel Memory Foam Side Sleeper Pillow, Korean Beef Salad, De Buyer Mineral B Wok Review, Solved Probability Problems Pdf, Ground Pork Recipes Easy, Zucchini And Squash Pasta Bake, Sodium Aluminate Reaction With Acid, L-shaped Oak Desk With Hutch, Haydn Sonata In C Major Hob Xvi 50 Analysis, 1982 Honda Cb750 Specs, Craftsman Garage Door Opener Remote Green Learn Button, Decision Tree Examples For Business, Lady In The Lake Painting, How To Make Sugar From Sweet Potato, Friendly's Ice Cream Cakes, Is Teriyaki Food Healthy, Best Quilting Machine,